Site Meter

Saturday, December 3, 2016

Cartwheel flowering

This is the beginning of the flowering of my giant hogweed. I've sectioned it off so thst no one can stumble upon it and burn themselves from the powerful sap and I'm taking this series of photos from atop a ladder, purpose laid so that I can get close to the flower without having to clamber up the stem and burn myself in a disfiguring way. It's early days yet, but I thought I'd start as soon as the plant showed signs of flowering and here are those signs; the wrap-around leaf-structure has opened enough to let the first flowers of the inflorescence-to-come, emerge. I'll keep photographing and posting as the flower opens. They're big, the flowers of the giant hogweed, and beautiful, though they frighten the local authorities. I'll harvest my flower before it sets seed.



No comments: